19 March 2013 UPDATE: I have added Ferry travel in Greece in 2013 to my blog (Greece - Kalo Taxidi!)
The Express Skopelitis (or Express Scopelitis) is the local ferry serving Naxos and Amorgos and the islands in beween.
This Danish website gives some technical details about the Express Skopelitis.
The Express Scopelitis is the star of a film - Express Scopelitis – Mother of the Islands Express Scopelitis – Mother of the Islands
A book about the Scopelitis family and their boats was published in June 2011. "Scopelitis' Story - The Metro of the Microcyclades" by Giovanni Perotti and Mila de Franco. There is no IBN number. I bought my copy from the Brekas Travel Agency in Katapola; I also saw the book on sale at Zoom in Naxos.
Express Skopelitis / Express Scopelitis Timetable
- In recent years the Express Skopelitis typically has had two sorts of route, what we call a "Long Skop" and a "Short Skop"! The "Short Skop" goes from Naxos to Katapola, calling at Iraklia, Schinoussa and Koufonissi. The "Long Skop" goes from Naxos to Katapola, calling at Iraklia, Schinoussa, Koufonissi, Donoussa and Aegiale.
The Express Scopelitis returned to Amorgos after her annual service in mid April 2013. Greek Travel Pages currently shows the times of the Express Scopelitis from 11 April 2013 to 28 June 2013.
Leaves Katapola at 07.00 on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, arriving in Naxos at 10.50.
Leaves Naxos at 14.00 on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, arriving in Katapola at 17.55.
Leaves Katapola at 06.00 on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, arriving in Naxos at 12.05.
Leaves Naxos at 14.00 on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, arriving in Katapola at 20.20
For the latest timetable check on Greek Travel Pages
- In Naxos the Express Skopelitis leaves from the small quay in Naxos, not the large quay used by the larger ferries.
- The Express Skopelitis is a very small ferry, and may not run in stormy weather. And may not run in weather that is OK for larger ferries.
- The Express Skopelitis does not usually run on Sundays. On Sundays in summer 2011 and 2012 the Express Skopelitis went from Katapola to Santorini and Ios (see below), and back.
- In some of the photos below, the Express Skopelitis looks a little rusty. This is because I took the photos in February! The Express Skopelitis usually goes "off duty" for a few weeks in February, March or April for her annual maintenance. She is usually back in service by Greek Easter.
- Express Skopelitis or Express Scopelitis. The name plate at the rear of the boat reads "Express Scopelitis", a sign inside the boat reads (in Greek) "Skopelitis".
- I usually travel on the deck of the Express Skopelitis, but the ship has a very pleasant lounge. I did a "Long Skop" on a cold and wet and wintry day, and spent the whole journey in the lounge. It was too wet even to paddle up to the deck, so I peered through the car deck at the islands we called at!
- There are other ferries going to Amorgos (Katapola or Aegiale). All year round there are usually several "Blue Star" ferries a week - usually leaving Piraeus at 17.30 and arriving at Amorgos in the early hours of the morning (the exact arrival time depending on the stops en route), and leaving Katapola at 6 a.m., or Aegiale at usually 6.55 a.m. The boats from Aegiale usually start from Astypalia. But as always, do check the times! In peak season there is a wider choice of ferries. There are often ANEK or NEL Lines ferries going from Syros to Amorgos, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The ferries usually leave Naxos at about 10 a.m., and reach Katapola at about 2 pm. But as always, do check the times on Greek Travel Pages!
Do check the latest details on Greek Travel Pages if you want to travel on her!
You can check her current position on MarineTraffic.com. MarineTraffic.com shows the position of ships worldwide, and is hosted by the Department of Product & Systems Design Engineering - University of the Aegean.
The Express Skopelitis in port on a very windy day - 28 February 2012
Here is a photo of the Express Skopelitis in Naxos on 22 October 2011 from the "Marine Traffic" site
The Express Scopelitis near Naxos in May 2011
The Express Scopelitis at Katapola on 14 October 2012 - a Sunday, and the ferry was at Katapola all day.
The Express Scopelitis at Naxos on 15 March 2013. There were Force 9 gusts of wind, and the ferry did not leave for Amorgos at the usual time of 2 p.m.